One of the biggest projects that any of us can undertake is a complete remodeling of our home. Ideally, we want it to be done in the most cost efficient, least time-consuming, stress free way possible… with the best result, of course. In order to achieve this it is important to put some things in place before the physical project has actually been started. We have compiled a list of 5 things that make a big difference and hopefully these will help everything go as smoothly as possible.
- Make a Plan – The first thing to do with any major project is to make a plan. It needs to be as detailed as possible. Decide the exact layout that you would like and take accurate measurements. Include everything about the project that you can think of regardless of how insignificant it may seem. Make any changes before starting the renovations to help simplify the project. Two important things that must be taken into consideration are any electrical changes that need to be made, and selecting appropriate lighting. These necessities are often overlooked and can have devastating effects.
- Make a Realistic Budget – Know exactly how much you have available to spend when undertaking any major renovation. On average remodelling budgets tend to go over by 20%-30% so be sure to include this. Never sacrifice quality for quantity. It is better to do the work gradually, using good quality materials instead of trying to get everything done at once with materials that will not be durable.
- Get a Good Contractor – Research and conduct an in-person interview with the contractor who is going to be in charge. You do not want to hire anybody unless you are completely sure that they are professional and capable. Request a contract that includes both the entire cost, and the amount of time that the project will take. Then step back and allow them to do the job that you have hired them for.
- Get another Opinion – Have a friend or a relative, whose opinion you respect, take a final look at everything before you move ahead. It is always possible that you may have overlooked some important details. A fresh pair of eyes may be able to pick up something that needs to be changed.
- Be Prepared – Hopefully everything will go according to plan, but be prepared if any unexpected problem should arise. Handling this in a calm, controlled manner aimed at finding a quick solution, instead of in a frenzied panic, is vital to everything else going well.
Have you found this article helpful? Share with us any other tips that you may have on the subject and always feel free to contact us if you require more information. We look forward to hearing